What is a Certificate of Eligibility(COE)?
A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is issued before a visa application by a regional immigration authority under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Justice as evidence that the foreign national meets the conditions for landing in Japan, including the requirements that the activity in which the foreign national wishes to engage in Japan at the time of the landing examination is not fraudulent and is an activity that comes under a status of residence (excluding Temporary Visitor Status) stipulated in the Immigration Control Act.

A foreign national in possession of a Certificate of Eligibility can get a visa issued more easily at an embassy or consulate within the standard processing period. Also, the landing permission will be given quickly if you show your Certificate of Eligibility to an immigration officer.

Certificate of Eligibility is valid for 3 months after it is issued, and it will become invalid if you can’t enter Japan in this period.
Where should I apply for the Certificate of Eligibility
In principle, an application for a certificate of eligibility should be filed at a regional immigration bureau or a branch that has the jurisdiction over the location of the organization accepting the foreign national or the domicile of his/her relative who will serve as his/her agent.

For your reference, a legal representative, the employee of the organization accepting the foreign national, the lawyer and the Gyousei-shosi can apply for the foreign national. We can apply for you.
I came to Japan for sightseeing. May I work while I stay in Japan?
Sightseeing is permitted under the “temporary visitor” visa. With the temporary visitor visa, working is not permitted basically.
I have a “college student” visa. May I do a part-time job?
Working for the maximum of 28 hours/week is permitted, if you get a permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted.
My supporting documents are written in my native language. Do I need to translate them into Japanese?
Yes. The Japanese translation of the supporting documents must be attached to the original documents.  The signature of the translator is required there on.

If we sign the contract, we will translate the documents with no additional charge up to 2 pages of A4 paper.
I live overseas now and I want to start up a company in Japan. Is it possible though I do not live in Japan?
In that case, you do not have a residence card which is necessary to have a bank account and to get your residential registration in Japan. As a result, it is very difficult to rent an office and therefore to start up a company.

If you can submit the documents which show that you are to start up a company and the start-up is almost certain, you may be admitted to Japan with “Investor/Business Manager” visa for 4 months period of stay. With that visa, you can get a residence card and thus it becomes easier to start up a company in Japan.

Other option is to ask your friend in Japan to be an incorporator and entrust him/her to start up and to get your visa and residence card with our help.
I got divorced with my Japanese husband/wife. What should I do with my visa?

You cannot stay with your “Spouse of Japanese National” visa if you got divorced.
So basically you have two choices.
1. To go back to your own country.
2. To change the types of visas even if the period of stay of your visa remains. In this case,
    you need to do so within 6 months from your divorce.
Meanwhile, you need to submit the notification of divorce to Immigration Bureau within two weeks. The delay of submission makes your next visa application difficult.